Fair Begins Here
Fair Begins Here is a new, UK-wide campaign calling for a better plan for refugees.
Ahead of the general election, we’re asking all political parties to commit to a fair new plan for refugees. And we’re inviting groups, organisations and people across Scotland to join us.
Our asylum system is becoming increasingly uncaring and chaotic. Too many people are stuck in limbo – separated from their families and barred from working – while they wait for their asylum claims to be processed. Too many face the threat of homelessness or are living in short term accommodation, cramped hotel rooms and army barracks.
The UK government is still trying to banish people fleeing war and persecution to Rwanda, despite the Supreme Court ruling it unlawful.
These policies aren’t working for refugees and they aren’t working for local communities. That’s why we’ve come together to say we’ve had enough. Enough of the division. Enough of the short term thinking. Enough of making people pay the price for poor political decisions. It's time for a new approach.
We're calling for a fair new plan that:
- Scraps the Rwanda scheme and protects the right of people fleeing war and persecution to claim asylum in the UK
- Provides a proper strategy for welcoming and integrating refugees, ensuring asylum claims are heard quickly and fairly, and people are supported to rebuild their lives
- Forges stronger global cooperation to tackle the root causes that force people to flee their homes and open safe route to refugee protection so people don't have to risk their lives making dangerous journeys
People want a fairer asylum system
The UK government keeps telling us that their hostile refugee policies are what the British people want. They don't speak for us and we know many others feel the same.
Every day, we see people across the country go the extra mile to welcome refugees by opening their homes, volunteering, donating and speaking out. And we see the many ways that refugees enrich our communities as they rebuild their lives in Scotland.
A recent poll commissioned by Together With Refugees found that 80% of people in Britain want an asylum system that is well managed, fair and compassionate. And fewer than 1 in 5 Brits think the UK government’s approach to the asylum system is working.
It's time to speak out
This coming election presents the UK with historic choices about the direction we go in as a society.
We need to show politicians and the media that people want a fairer and more compassionate asylum system. The louder and more representative our voice becomes, the harder our message will be to ignore.
How you can get involved
1. Show your support on social media
- Add an orange heart emoji to your profile
- Post orange heart pictures, selfies and messages of solidarity on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #FairBeginsHere
- Share one of our Fair Begins Here graphics and ask friends and family to share it too. You can find a selection here.
2. Connect with us
Let us know about any Fair Begins Here events and activities you’re planning in Scotland – we’d love to help spread the word. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Join the Together With Refugees coalition
Sign up to become part of Together With Refugees and join the UK-wide campaign for a fairer and more compassionate asylum system.
Together, we can show politicians and the media that most people want a fair new plan for refugees that works for everyone. Fair Begins Here.